The ABC of Wisconsin Apprenticeship Advisory Committee operates construction apprenticeship training programs, which are recognized by the state Department of Workforce Development’s Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards.
Apprenticeships are offered in 12 different trades and range from three to five-year programs, which are described on the following pages.
If you would like additional information or have questions, please contact the ABC of Wisconsin office at 608-244-6056.
$30.85 / hour
- Construct, repair and remodel all aspects of commercial construction – from concrete forms and building framework to exterior and interior finishing.
- Operate a wide range of professional power tools and precision measurement devices.
- Read and interpret prints and specification books to coordinate and schedule work with other trades.
$26.11 / hour
- Pour and finish concrete surfaces for highways, parking ramps, and commercial and industrial structures.
- Use high-tech equipment and critical thinking to ensure concrete surfaces meet the desired pitch, depth and alignment.
- Apply architectural finishes and coatings to the concrete to create a variety of appearances.
Construction Craft Laborer
$21.85 / hour
- Perform a wide range of tasks in all areas of construction including highway, commercial and industrial construction.
- Utilize both general and specialized construction skills for project preparation, demolition, building and clean-up.
- Operate a range of tools, from basic hand and power tools to light motorized equipment.
$30.19 / hour
- Design, install, maintain and troubleshoot electrical components and wiring for a variety of systems, from overall power systems and lighting to systems that operate machinery.
- Utilize logical thinking and math skills to interpret prints and accurately calculate electrical systems.
- Operate a variety of tools and use the National Electrical Code to comply with safety requirements.
Heat & Frost Insulating
$30.60 / hour
- Assemble and repair insulation on industrial equipment, pipes, ductwork and other mechanical systems.
- Design and fabricate insulation systems to control noise and maintain temperatures on heat exchangers, storage tanks and boilers.
- Protect outside environments from exposure to hazardous liquids and gases
Heavy Equipment Operating
$32.10 / hour
- Operate heavy machinery (such as cranes, bulldozers, excavators and backhoes) used in the construction of roads, bridges and site preparation.
- Maintain machinery to keep in proper working order.
- Utilize critical thinking to understand the project and be able to troubleshoot in a variety of changing environments and terrains.
$27.82 / hour
- Install, maintain and repair heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems in both residential and commercial locations.
- Utilize critical thinking to understand and interpret systems and prints, while being able to troubleshoot in the service and maintenance of systems.
- Solder, braze and weld a variety of materials associated with duct or piping systems.
$33.05 / hour
- Design, install and repair piping systems (including those connected to washers, bathtubs, sinks, toilets, and heating and cooling systems) that distribute water and remove waste from buildings.
- Interpret and understand the Plumbing Code to ensure proper installation and safety.
- Utilize critical thinking and math skills to interpret prints and troubleshoot in the service of various plumbing systems.
$21.62 / hour
- Install, repair and renovate residential and commercial roofs using tar, asphalt, gravel, rubber, thermoplastic, metal and shingles.
- Utilize critical thinking about how to properly inspect, repair and waterproof the roof to prevent leakage after installation.
- Operate a variety of tools and equipment
$37.85 / hour
- Design, install, repair, maintain and inspect various types of fire protection systems by working with a variety of pipe and tubing materials, as well as the use of electricity and chemical compounds.
- Operate a wide range of tools in measuring, cutting and threading of pipe for installation, fitting connections and testing of the system.
- Interpret and critically think about prints and electrical schematics to meet local and national sprinkler codes.
$28.48 / hour
- Cut and mold sheets of metal into components for installing heating, ventilation and air distribution systems.
- Operate computerized fabrication machines such as plasma cutters, brakes, presses and forming rolls to cut, bend, block and form sheet metal.
- Solve challenging problems with highly technical layouts, prints and specifications using math and critical thinking.
$36.50 / hour
- Install, service and repair pipes and equipment that withstand high pressure for distribution of steam, chemicals, compressed air, fuel or other types of pressure producers in both commercial and industrial projects.
- Understand and critically think about both the principles of heating and cooling as well as how to interpret prints in installation and service of systems.
- Solder, braze and weld a variety of materials associated with piping systems.
5330 Wall Street
Madison, WI 53718
Phone: 608-244-6056 or 800-829-9926